It’s time to get involved
Starting a Chapter
Chapters exemplify BNR’s vision: is an organization with a focus to foster a positive environment of professional growth and development. We provide support and mentorship to nurses in an effort to elevate our profession and improve our communities. Joining one of our chapters will connect you to dedicated nurses who care about patient and public outreach, and provide a professional network as you’re advancing your career.
Starting a BNR chapter is really very simple! The Chapter Advisory Team and the National Office Team have put together a chapter startup guide to assist you in starting a local chapter in your area. Your interest in starting a chapter is very important to us, and we want to help you in every way we can!
To start a Chapter in your area, you must meet the minimal requirements:
- At least 10 paid BNR members
- Complete Articles of Incorporation
- Complete EIN
- Complete Banking Info
- Form Board and Leadership
- $150 Chapter Fee
For more information, contact:
Director of Chapter Development:
Guidelines and Governance
Planning and Project Management
Welcome to the initial BNRF Chapter Process! This page will provide information on chapter formation requirements, what is needed for your chapter application, and how to submit your application paperwork.
To become an official BNRF chapter, you will need a total of 10 active BNRF members. This includes 4-6 attending members and at least 4 chapter officers in the roles of President, Vice-President, Secretary and Treasurer.
We strongly suggest that you download and review the “Chapter Startup Guide” from our website at this link: https://blacknursesrock.net/chapters/.
CHAPTER FORMATION PROCESS:
Here is a quick review of all the steps to become a chapter with Black Nurses Rock Foundation:
- Step 1: Submit your chapter officer roster with at least 4, active members of BNRF. All officers have paid their national dues to Black Nurses Rock Foundation.
- If needed, please contact the BNRF National office to assist with creating or updating the BNR National membership dues for your officers.
- Step 2: Submit the $150 chapter application fee on the BNRF website located at this link: https://blacknursesrock.net/product/bnr-new-chapter-boarding-fee/
- Please print and submit a receipt of your payment to the BNRF National Office.
- Step 3: Sign the BNRF Chapter Charter Agreement.
- All BNRF chapter officers are required to sign the Chapter Charter agreement and send the signed copy to the BNRF National Office.
- Step 4: Sign the BNRF Confidentiality and Non-compete Agreement.
- All BNRF chapter officers are required to sign this agreement and send the signed copy to the BNRF National Office.
- Step 5: Design and submit an estimated 6-month chapter activity plan.
- The BNRF National office will present you with a template to create your chapter activity plan; Your chapter plan can be in any format or type of document as long as the same information is presented.
- Your business plan should have an estimated activity schedule for at least 6 months and identify at least 1 potential sponsor in your area.
- This is also the area where you can identify local chapter dues. Choose a payment method that works best for your members, whether that is an annual amount or hosted events with an entry fee. (Please note that all chapter members must pay their national membership dues to BNRF to maintain good standing).
- Step 6: Submit a chapter contact form.
- It is highly suggested to create a special Gmail account for your chapter so everyone can stay in contact with the chapter leaders (even if the position changes). This email account can also be connected to a chapter Facebook page/group, customized website, or any additional social media.
- The contact form is the place where you can list this chapter email, social media pages, and other contact information related to your chapter
- Step 7: (Optional) Schedule a review meeting with the BNRF Director of Chapters.
- This meeting is to review all of your submitted documents and more specifically, your chapter’s 6-month activity plan to ensure no details were missed. This is the opportunity for the chapter leaders to ask questions, gain advice, and kick-off the chapter leadership.
- Step 8: Receive official approval notice.
After receipt of the aforementioned documents, the BNRF National Office will forward the following documents. All board members must read and understand:
- Chapter Governance Manual
- BNRF Contract & Grant Guidelines
- BNRF Volunteer Waiver Form
- BNRF Social Media Policy and Disclaimers
- BNR Chapter Project Management Template
REGISTER YOUR CHAPTER AS A SECTION 501C3
Once your local chapter has been organized, the chapter board leaders along with their remaining membership, are to gather to discuss local dues, and community service projects. This meeting must be recorded in writing to include date, time, attendees with appropriate titles. The chapter board leaders are also strongly advised to download the “Docusign” app on their mobile device.
The Chapter President must apply for the following in this order:
- Articles of Incorporation (Secretary of State) (cost of A.I.C. varies from state to state)
- EIN (Federal Government); presentation available (will be forwarded)
- Design an estimated chapter finance plan to document dues, due collection, and tax declaration
- Open a Chapter Non-Profit Bank Account-(your discretion)
- P.O. Box (optional)
- The Official Meet and Greet- (Approved by BNRF National Office)
Once the President has completed the AIC, EIN and opened a bank account, that information is to be forwarded to the Black Nurses Rock National office. The treasurer and secretary are to retrain a copy of this information in an electronic format as well as in a paper format.
The aforementioned procedures are to be completed within 60 days of application process.
CHAPTER BOARD TRAINING
All chapter board leaders are required to schedule and complete training in the following areas:
- Board Development Training
- Fiscal Management and Accounting
- Strategic Planning and Program Development
CDC Classes – a Representative will be provided. The training is free to paid board members and can be offered with a cost to the public.
ADDITIONAL CHAPTER INFORMATION
Each Chapter is encouraged to have a Social Media platform to engage members more intimately and to get a wealth of information to masses of people at the same time. BNRF has a standard and professional look when starting a Social Media page.
- Name your Facebook group in the format: “Black Nurses Rock: YourCity, YourStateChapter”
- Once your Facebook group page is created, you must send an email to the National Chapter Services Director and allow them to join the group with administrator access.
- Name the Instagram group in the format: “Black Nurses Rock: YourCity, YourState”
- Please follow @officialblacknursesrock